COVID-19 Government Notice
The history of the Wits Planetarium begins in the year 1956, when the Festival Committee, instituted to organise the celebrations in that year of the seventieth anniversary of the founding of the city, decided that it would be most fitting to mark the occasion by raising the funds needed to buy and house a Zeiss Planetarium.
Plans for the building were drawn in 1958, and building commenced in 1959.
On 12 October 1960 the first full-sized planetarium in Africa, opened its doors to the public.
Planetarium Entry Requirements
Wits Planetarium, Yale Road, Parktown, JohannesburgView on Google Maps